Elias and I, HouseFinders Peloponnese have properties for sale in the Peloponnese. A large part of them are located in Mani, a unique part of the mainland that is often called “Greece’s hidden secret”.
Mani and the Peloponnese
Mani is the traditional Greece, with a rich green landscape, hospitable taverns with fantastic meals at prices that are much lower than the Greek islands and without mass tourism. Much like Corfu 40 years ago: stunning scenery, beaches with crystal clear waters and “authentic” Greeks. Below are three strong reasons why Mani and the Peloponnese should pique your interest.
- The favorable microclimate. As the mountains are so close to the sea and the wind blows from ravines and valleys, it creates a small delimited area with a different climate from the nearby surroundings. This makes it cooler in the summer and milder in the winter than in other nearby areas!
- No “all-inclusive” paradise. There are plenty of smaller and larger hotels and guest houses (with mixed quality but always with classic Greek hospitality) but here you will not find exclusive and large hotel chains. In fact, most rental properties are self-catering: it’s really a pleasure to cook with the local ingredients!
- Undiscovered villages, beaches and secluded coves. The Peloponnese is working hard to become an alternative to the Greek archipelago and the development of tourism has, like everything else in life, both good and bad sides, but here you will still find lots of unspoilt and undiscovered villages, hiking trails and beaches. However, it is far from the comfortable red carpet that will lead you there: the roads are of slightly varying quality and require a little exercise regardless of whether you are cycling or hiking. A hilly terrain that provides fantastic sea views and fantastic sunsets!
Mani, the Peloponnese and our properties
Our properties in Mani are located in or near the villages of Stoupa, Agios Nikolaos, Agios Dimitrios, Kardamyli and other nearby villages. You can take a drive of about 3 hours from Athens airport with a convenient highway or fly directly to the international airport of Kalamata and reach the villages in about 50-60 minutes.
In addition to houses, villas and apartments, we can help you find a plot and also establish contact with architects and builders. Below a little briefly about the most popular villages.
- Stoupa. It is a beachfront village with three sandy beaches, over twenty taverns and a relaxed feel. Strandvägen closes for car traffic in the evening and taverns and bars are full but the entertainment is low-key without mass tourism. Stoupa is actually where the famous movie “Zorba the Greek” was written, even though it was shot in Crete. From Stoupa there is a picturesque hiking trail by the sea that takes about 45 minutes to walk to Agios Nikolaos, or you can rent a bike.
- Agios Nikolaos and Agios Dimitrios. Just 3-5 km south of Stoupa are Agios Nikolaos and Agios Dimitrios, beautiful and unspoilt small fishing villages. Perfect place for you who want to leave the stressful everyday life behind you and here are warm, wonderful summers and mild winters. Agios Dimitrios is a small village with a small picturesque harbor. In ancient times it was known as “Pefnos” and belonged to King Tyndareus. Agios Nikolaos, is a larger village that has a lot of taverns and cafes open all year round and all are located around the harbor. In the village you will also find: hospital, pharmacy, ATM, two supermarkets, patisserie, butcher, bike rental and gas station. Beaches closest to the villages are open, nice and rocky
- Kardamyli . Located 7 km north of Stoupa. It is a charming village with a lot of history as it was first mentioned by the poet Homer around 1200 BC. Kardamyli has some beautiful buildings, an old old village, a small harbor, a number of beaches and some excellent taverns. It is especially popular with artists, poets and hikers, with many hiking trails in the nearby hills. The village was home to the famous travel writer, Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor who wrote extensively about the area.
We have houses and plots for sale in these areas and many other nearby villages such as Proastio, Neochori, Lefktro, Frigano, Riglia or Pigi, Platsa, Nomitsi. These villages are located a few kilometers from the sea but offer fantastic views of the sea and a cooling breeze during the summer. Through our partners we can of course help you in other areas of the Peloponnese that are closer to Koroni or Nafplio.